What surprised me was that at Marymount they were growing cells and making tissue at their labs. The most interesting thing for me was the Ruben's Tube. We got to see how the sound waves traveling down the tube affected the flames.
For me, the most interesting/surprising thing for me was hearing that one of the snakes got out of their crates and turned on the shower and that only 2 hours later when the security saw water dripping from the ceiling did they realize what happened. Also, I found it hilarious that the management had to involve the head of the program to get the snakes since security didn't want to touch them. But in terms of topics, I loved learning about all the different creative opportunities/possibilities in engineering.
From the street, Marymount looks like a very small school that one would not expect to have a lot going for it. For this reason, seeing the inside of the school was surprising to me. I did not expect the science department to be so well developed.
Overall, I was very surprised to see how advanced and well-developed the science and engineering departments are. Also, I found the research that they are conducting with the bio 3D printer to make tissue very interesting.
It was interesting to see how many amazing resources they have for such a small school. It was also cool to see the school because I had never been on campus before even though I pass by so frequently.
I have never really appreciated everything that is included under the umbrella of "engineering" but this visit really opened my eyes to the wide variety of activities and fields that fall into this category. It was super interesting to see everything that students had created in engineering programs/classes.
I was surprised to hear the opportunities that students had to research because Marymount is such a small school. I definitely thought the Ruben's Tube was the most interesting part.
I was surprised by the creative freedom that a lot of the students in their lab had. It seemed like they were truly able to create whatever they could think of and solve a lot of different problems in our community.
I found their engineering teacher very cool, and all the demos he did were very interesting. I liked how the science department let students do a lot of their own research and projects.
I think that it surprised me how much the different educational departments corresponded and worked with each other to create different projects for students to get out of just their major's curriculum.
I was surprised to see such an intense focus on cell tissues and robotics while seemingly devoting less time to more classic majors. Along with many others, I found the Rubens tube to be the most interesting thing.
The most interesting part about Marymount was learning about all of the new programs that were being added. They said that their 3D printing/robotics programs were fairly new and that they were adding new tech majors as well.
I found the fact that engineering can be so fun very interesting. I had never looked at it as anything but boring math and science, so it was pretty eye opening.
What surprised me and interested me was that even the most advanced and most expensive prosthetic limbs can only move so much. They still can't function as well as the original limbs. Before the trip I had a misconception that they were better than regular ones.
Something that surprised me was that colleges can help their community through group projects like the gardens. What interested me about Marymount University was that the engineering department had a Ruben's Tube, prosthetic limbs, and 3D printing.
It was interesting to see that engineering could be a fun path. If you choose the right environment it doesn't have to be high pressure and can be fun. Also the chocolate at Marymount was good.
By now, you have spent your first full day(s) at your internships, and you should be getting to know the "lay of the land." Comment on this post no later than July 9. Write a short summary of your first impressions of your internship. React to the work environment, your mentor, you co-workers, the tasks assigned to you so far and any plans you and your mentor have made for the rest of your time together. Discuss ways in which the internship has - and has not - met your expectations. How do you think this will change in the weeks ahead? Don't forget to come back and read your fellow interns' comments throughout the coming week and react to at least two of them. Keep your comments positive and supportive. (Problems and concerns should be discussed with me by phone, text, or email.) Be sure to check back later to answer questions others may have left for you. Summer PRIME Reflections is an interactive forum.
Respond to this post after you have spent at least one full week at your internship. If you like, start your comment with a few sentences summarizing your tasks so far. Devote the remainder of your response to this "thinking assignment": Choose an adult who works with you at your internship. This might be your mentor, but it may be someone else at your work site. Discover the official title of the job he or she holds. Write a short paragraph about the day-to-day tasks you observe this person doing. Include your opinion about the level of satisfaction he or she seems to derive from the job. You may base your opinion on your own observations and/or on conversations with the person you are observing. Is this satisfaction intrinsic to the job itself or related more to job environment, co-workers, etc.? Is it, perhaps, most related to the person's outlook on life? In your last paragraph, consider briefly whether this job is something you could ...
To respond to this week's post, pay conscious attention to the corporate culture at your internship site for a day or two. Corporate culture refers to the "personality" of a workplace. It defines "how things get done around here." The culture of an organization guides the way employees think, act, and feel at work. A good fit between an employee and the culture almost guarantees success and happiness and, one could argue, may make the difference between a job and a career. Please read the short article "Six Components of a Great Corporate Culture at https://hbr.org/2013/05/six-components-of-culture . The author argues that a good corporate culture is vital to the success of any company and lists the six things he thinks are most important to building that culture. Throughout the article he offers links to articles that expand and support his ideas. He and other authors I've read maintain that understanding an organization'...
What surprised me was that at Marymount they were growing cells and making tissue at their labs. The most interesting thing for me was the Ruben's Tube. We got to see how the sound waves traveling down the tube affected the flames.
ReplyDeleteThat was very cool to see.
DeleteUnfortunately, I was unable to attend yesterday’s field trip because I was feeling unwell.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised by how advanced their lab tech was. The most interesting thing was the Ruben's Tube.
ReplyDeleteFor me, the most interesting/surprising thing for me was hearing that one of the snakes got out of their crates and turned on the shower and that only 2 hours later when the security saw water dripping from the ceiling did they realize what happened. Also, I found it hilarious that the management had to involve the head of the program to get the snakes since security didn't want to touch them. But in terms of topics, I loved learning about all the different creative opportunities/possibilities in engineering.
ReplyDeleteFrom the street, Marymount looks like a very small school that one would not expect to have a lot going for it. For this reason, seeing the inside of the school was surprising to me. I did not expect the science department to be so well developed.
ReplyDeleteOverall, I was very surprised to see how advanced and well-developed the science and engineering departments are. Also, I found the research that they are conducting with the bio 3D printer to make tissue very interesting.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting part to me was the 3d printed chocolate.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting thing was the rubens tube and what it was able to play through it.
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to see how many amazing resources they have for such a small school. It was also cool to see the school because I had never been on campus before even though I pass by so frequently.
ReplyDeleteI have never really appreciated everything that is included under the umbrella of "engineering" but this visit really opened my eyes to the wide variety of activities and fields that fall into this category. It was super interesting to see everything that students had created in engineering programs/classes.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to hear the opportunities that students had to research because Marymount is such a small school. I definitely thought the Ruben's Tube was the most interesting part.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised by the creative freedom that a lot of the students in their lab had. It seemed like they were truly able to create whatever they could think of and solve a lot of different problems in our community.
ReplyDeleteI found their engineering teacher very cool, and all the demos he did were very interesting. I liked how the science department let students do a lot of their own research and projects.
ReplyDeleteI think that it surprised me how much the different educational departments corresponded and worked with each other to create different projects for students to get out of just their major's curriculum.
ReplyDeleteI think that it surprised me you can really think freely and how it's encourage to be creative and think about different idea's.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to see such an intense focus on cell tissues and robotics while seemingly devoting less time to more classic majors. Along with many others, I found the Rubens tube to be the most interesting thing.
ReplyDeleteOne thing that surprised me was the small size of the school. One that that I found interesting was the heavy emphasis on research.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised by how easygoing one of the engineering rooms was. The most interesting thing was the rubens tube.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting part about Marymount was learning about all of the new programs that were being added. They said that their 3D printing/robotics programs were fairly new and that they were adding new tech majors as well.
ReplyDeleteIn Marymount university I loved the engineering room and I was surprised how the rubens tube worked
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately I wasn't able to go on the field trip due to a conflict.
ReplyDeleteI found the fact that engineering can be so fun very interesting. I had never looked at it as anything but boring math and science, so it was pretty eye opening.
ReplyDeleteWhat surprised me and interested me was that even the most advanced and most expensive prosthetic limbs can only move so much. They still can't function as well as the original limbs. Before the trip I had a misconception that they were better than regular ones.
ReplyDeleteSomething that surprised me was that colleges can help their community through group projects like the gardens. What interested me about Marymount University was that the engineering department had a Ruben's Tube, prosthetic limbs, and 3D printing.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to hear about the amount of students who left Marymount attending top-tier graduate schools such as Georgetown and Johns Hopkins.
ReplyDeleteSadly i wasnt able to go to the field trip but by reading everyones comments it sounded like a great time and very educational!
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to see that engineering could be a fun path. If you choose the right environment it doesn't have to be high pressure and can be fun. Also the chocolate at Marymount was good.
ReplyDelete